Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Impetus

The sole purpose of travel is not hitting the tourist spots, but understanding a culture, people and language. People are what make a country, not buildings. When I travel, I try to get away from what Lonely Planet books tell you and create my own journey. Of course, I do see some of the sites as many times they explain a people's history, but that history is best understood by talking to people -- a taxi driver and shop owner have a lot to tell. These are all new realizations for me that started in 2004 when I joined the Peace Corps and lived out in the regions of Georgia, a country you will hear and see more of throughout this endeavour. The stories people tell me help me understand more about myself and the world I live in. Slowly, their stories help me tell my own. This is my story so far.

1 comment:

White Rabbit said...

and if you're lucky local angels will take you to "the hell" and back and help you make your journeys fun, if you know what I mean. ;)